There are several great new features available in Engineering Village. You can search through Compendex and Inspec in this platform–a great resource for applied engineering information, and patents.
- Tagging & Collaboration 2collab(collaborative tagging)
- RSS & Customized Alerting http://www.ei.org/eiupdate/02_whats_new/
- Blog this: link from a blog to a record of interest–blog this button in record…
Once published, the title will link to record
I encourage you to set up a user account in this database. This allows you to save your searches, and some additional features. Also the RSS features make it easy for you to stay on top of the literature.
There is a new search technique in this database: FACETS searching. Some quick tips:
If you get too many results:
- limit by field, check thesaurus, turn autostemming off, truncate with care, use facets
If you don't get enough results:
- check thesaruus, link via Ei main headings, autostemming, grab a few good articles, then follow their subject terms. Click on circle i to see more information about the term (when introduced, classification)
You can now do record tagging, and make it public or private–there is a lot of possiblity in this: you could tag things with "My Institution," or create groups to share tags. Make them public, or keep them private.
Additionally, there is an
- Ask a Librarian feature…these go to Linda Hall Library
- Ask an Engineer…10 senior engineers
If you would like customized training on this database email me at dkolah at rice.edu